Do You Require Planning Permission for a Conservatory in Wales, in 2022?

If you want a new conservatory for your home in Wales in the year 2022, you must know what you can, and cannot build. Here at AA Conservatories, we’re only too happy to guide you through the process, so don’t hesitate to get in touch with any queries and we will point you in the right direction, while this is true, the responsibility ultimately falls on your shoulders to ensure all rules and regulations are adhered to on your project.

Adding a conservatory to your home is treated the same as adding a single-storey extension and the same rules apply. The development of a conservatory is, therefore, to be considered a permitted development and does not need an application for planning permission. This is all however subjected to the limits and conditions that are outlined below.

  • The conservatory cannot extend beyond a wall that was in the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse. Guidance on what constitutes the principal elevation is contained without the householder guide.

  • No more than 50% of the land around the original house is to be covered (including any other buildings)

  • The conservatory cannot be higher than the height of the eaves of the existing dwelling house.

  • If your conservatory is located within 2 meters of a boundary of your home, the eaves height of the conservatory cannot exceed 3 metres. Conservatories are not permitted development within the curtilage of any listed buildings.

  • The length and height of your conservatory must be no more than 4 meters.

  • For side conservatories, the width of your conservatory cannot be more than half of the width of the original dwellinghouse.

  • Side conservatories have additional restrictions on size in conservation areas, national parks, areas of outstanding natural beauty or world heritage sites. They may extend from the side elevation of the original dwellinghouse by no more than 3 meters and must be set back from the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse by at least 1 meter.

Don’t forget, the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Where work is proposed to a listed building, listed building consent may be required. Please be aware that if your development is over 100sqm then it may be liable for a charge under the community infrastructure levy.

If permitted development rights have been removed from your property by the local planning authority, if they have been removed you must submit a planning application for the works.

The local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights as a condition of the original planning permission for your property. This information will be available on the planning register which is held by the local planning authority. Permitted development rights may also have been removed by an article 4 direction. These are quite common in conservation areas where the character of an area could be threatened by an unmanaged development. Your solicitor should have informed you of whether an article 4 direction exists when you purchased your property you can check with the local planning authority if unsure.

You could need planning permission if you fall under Article 4 Direction. If you have a listed building then you will require a listed building consent.

Any other questions? Just contact AA Conservatories today and we are more than happy to advise.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square